Ahoy! Welcome to your new Depths Optical Vibe Machine! The Depths is our take on the classic optical vibe circuit. Now you can swab the decks with the same lush, pulsating, three-dimensional swirling sound you know and love, with some modern accouterments for all you land-lubbers out there.
The Depths is optimized for use with all kinds of instruments, pickups, and to play well with dirt, so nobody’s left waiting on shore. If it’s got a ¼" output, plug it in and get deep!
In addition to the classic vibe controls, the Depths features unique controls for Voice and Throb. The Voice control adjusts the midrange focus of the Depths, which is perfect for tailoring the effect to your particular instrument. Clockwise, you’ll hear a fuller sound with a low-end focus. Counter-clockwise, you’ll hear a thinner, spikier sound with a forward upper-midrange bite. The Throb knob adds a hefty subharmonic low-end pulse to the vibrato signal, which is especially useful on synthesizers and the bass guitar. It sounds great with a little bit of dirt on the neck pickup of a guitar, too! This works best with the Voice turned counter-clockwise for a warmer tone.
The Depths’ Intensity and Rate controls are dialed in to give you the classic optical vibe sound at more modest settings, but dive in deeper and you’ll find anything from a smooth ultra-slow warble to sharp, speedy bursts! Also, the Level control has tons of output above unity on tap to combat the perceived volume loss of most vibe pedals, so your tone is always above water. And, if 9v isn’t enough to keep you afloat, the Depths may be powered at 18v for a stiffer tone with more headroom and sparkle.
The Depths is true-bypass, uses rusty all-analog circuitry, and is built one-at-a-time aboard the wreckage of the SS Minnow, currently dry-docked in Akron, Ohio, USA.CONTROLS
- Voice: Dials in the overall sound. Turn it clockwise for a fuller sound with more lows, bring it back for a thinner, more midrange focused tone.
- Throb: This controls the low end pulse. It may not be immediately evident on the bridge pickup, but switch to the neck or add some dirt and it comes alive. All the way up for more throb, dial it back for less. Works best when the Voice is set to a warmer tone.
- Intensity: This controls how subtle or intense the overall effect is. Counter clockwise from noon are the more subtle, classic sounds. Clockwise from noon are the more drastic and intense sounds.
- Rate: Controls the speed of the effect. Counterclockwise for slow, clockwise for fast.
- Level: Controls the volume of the effect. Unity is around 1 O’clock, everything above that is boost.
- 4.75′′ x 2.50′′ x. 2.25′′ with knobs
- A standard regulated 9-18 volt DC power supply with a negative center 2.1mm barrel. We do not recommend any adapter that isn’t designed for musical instruments. Do not run at higher voltages! Powering at 9v gives a warmer and more natural sound, 18v will be stronger with more headroom and sparkle. Does not use batteries.
- Current draw is 35 mA.
V2 Updates - January 2018
- New flexi switch silent relay based switching allows for traditional latching or momentary operation