Each mouthpiece in the DV Series of 24kt Gold Plated Metal Saxophone Mouthpieces delivers free blowing power with an unusually full tone. The DV's do not sacrifice a big full saxophone sound for power.
In the JodyJazz DV, nature, science and imagination have combined to create a revolutionary new saxophone mouthpiece, Jody Espina has created this patent-pending design using proportions found in nature.
What Is the DV Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece?
Jody Espina has introduced the concept of Golden Section Proportions to the art of high end saxophone mouthpiece design. This perfect chamber/bore/facing combination will result in an extraordinary playing experience for you.
Effortless Power & Beauty
Here, nature, science and imagination combine to create a revolutionary new saxophone mouthpiece. Jody Espina has designed the JodyJazz DV (U.S. Patent No. 7,470,844) using proportions and principles found in nature. For the most effortless playing experience of your life, we invite you to try the DV.
Three Goals in Creating the DV Series of Saxophone Mouthpieces
- To create the most efficient mouthpiece possible. That means that there are more harmonics present in the sound and therefore the projection of this alto sax mouthpiece is huge.
- To eliminate the annoying shrillness that is associated with loud bright alto saxophone mouthpieces.
- To have a big fat midrange and bottom end that has never been present before in an alto mouthpiece with strong projection.
The mouthpiece comes with a Deluxe Rovner (Dark) Ligature, Cap, Mouthpiece Pouch and special Wood Cylinder case.
JodyJazz DV Alto Sax Mouthpiece Available Tip Openings
5 = .072 6 = .078 7 = .083 8 = .090 9 = .100 9* = .105
"Dream Come True"
The new facing curve results in absolutely no dead spots in the vibration of the reed. In other words all notes in all ranges respond equally. This alto sax mouthpiece has a husky barrel-chested tone while being able to sing and soar over the top of any band. Sub toning and low notes are extremely easy and the altissimo is out of this world. Intonation is spot on. Be prepared to have possibly the most fun you ever have had on the saxophone.
Players who now or in the past have played Guardala, Dukoff, Beechler, Jumbo Java, SR Tech, Vandoren V16, Yanigisawa, or any of the bright mouthpieces out there will be sure to love The DV. This is not just another bright mouthpiece. There will be noticeable differences and improvements.
I have found that many straight ahead jazz players who tend to favor mouthpieces that are just a little brighter than most mainstream dark mouthpieces have a very high chance of making the DV their new alto mouthpiece. We have had many many converts who came from playing the most popular hard rubber Jazz piece. These players almost always think that they won't like a metal alto mouthpiece and they are surprised every time.
All saxophone players are amazed to find an alto saxophone mouthpiece that works so efficiently, where the articulation is clean and one can easily go from low to high and vice versa. The DV alto is manufactured on the most sophisticated computer controlled Lathes and Mills, yet the DV benefits from a high degree of hand finishing. The attention to detail in design and finishing given to the DV results in a stunning work of art that plays like a dream come true.
Special Notes on The DV Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece
Due to the free blowing nature of the DV alto and all the DV's , be prepared to use a harder reed than you normally do. This may or may not be the case for you. The great benefit of this is that a harder reed lasts longer and a harder reed helps the altissimo range. For this same reason, you may want to try a slightly more open tip than normal. For example, Meyer 6 players, will usually play a DV Alto 7.
What Does The DV Do?
How Does The DV Do IT?
- Bigger Fatter Tone
- Effortless Playing
- More Harmonics
- Cleaner Articulation
- Power and Projection
- Unbelievable Altissimo
- Improved Intonation
- Secondary window
- Golden section proportioning
- Proprietary CNC facing technology
- Perfect radius facing curve
- Perfect reed/Tip match
- 24 kt heavy gold plating
- Hand finished baffle, tip rail and table
- Play tested by Jody Espina
- Phi Proportions - Or the Golden Section Proportioning. The proportions that are found in the Stradivarius Violin, the Nautilus shell, the dolphin, human beings, the Ancient Pyramids and much more, are used for the first time on a saxophone mouthpiece. These proportions result in a chamber that increases harmonics making the sound bigger and richer.
- Secondary Window - The moving sound wave inside of the mouthpiece is now able to strike the vibrating reed above the bore of the mouthpiece instead of the mouthpiece material that is usually there. The effect is similar to a moving ball striking a moving bat. Home Run!
- New Facing Technology and Curve - We have invested in new CNC technology and have come up with a proprietary way of putting on a new facing curve, which is perfect every time.